After the dumping of snow just after Christmas we have had a few other flurries, but nothing major. The temperature though has been well below freezing in general and so the snow hasn't gone anywhere!
This last week though the temperature has been creeping up and it has begun to melt.
In a way it is good that the snow has nearly gone. We won't need to get Leila into her snowsuit and snow boots and then drag her everywhere on the sledge - although on the other hand we were finally getting quite adept at doing this! She'll be happier that we don't have this rigmarole and we'll be able to buy more shopping without her complaining about it being carried with her on the sledge!
It will also make just walking a lot less treacherous. I managed to fall over twice on Thursday because our road was pretty much an ice rink after the temperature hovered around freezing and all the compacted snow was thawing and refreezing for a few days. My falls weren't all that bad, but they were proper falls and I had a sore bottom and wrist when I got home. As Scott had been out walking in the early mornings to work he had already attached snow spikes to his shoes, so I did the same on Friday and the journey was a lot better.
But there were some advantages to having the snow around. It was great to just go out and play in, for one. The other was that the cats couldn't get into our garden because the way in was blocked by a snow drift. We'd also just perfected the art of taking Leila places in the sledge. The pinnical of this being a trip to the pub. As his involved a journey home after dark we kitted Leila out with her high-vis vest and bike lights on the seldge!
So we'll be sad that the snow has gone, but we know that it'll be back soon!
EDIT - I finished this post on Sunday night when temperatures had been into the teens almost during the day. But on Monday morning we woke to find that there had been fresh snowfall of around 5cm overnight! I had to move the buggy aside (which I had just got back up from the cellar) and get the sledge and snow shovel out again!!!
This last week though the temperature has been creeping up and it has begun to melt.
In a way it is good that the snow has nearly gone. We won't need to get Leila into her snowsuit and snow boots and then drag her everywhere on the sledge - although on the other hand we were finally getting quite adept at doing this! She'll be happier that we don't have this rigmarole and we'll be able to buy more shopping without her complaining about it being carried with her on the sledge!
It will also make just walking a lot less treacherous. I managed to fall over twice on Thursday because our road was pretty much an ice rink after the temperature hovered around freezing and all the compacted snow was thawing and refreezing for a few days. My falls weren't all that bad, but they were proper falls and I had a sore bottom and wrist when I got home. As Scott had been out walking in the early mornings to work he had already attached snow spikes to his shoes, so I did the same on Friday and the journey was a lot better.
But there were some advantages to having the snow around. It was great to just go out and play in, for one. The other was that the cats couldn't get into our garden because the way in was blocked by a snow drift. We'd also just perfected the art of taking Leila places in the sledge. The pinnical of this being a trip to the pub. As his involved a journey home after dark we kitted Leila out with her high-vis vest and bike lights on the seldge!
So we'll be sad that the snow has gone, but we know that it'll be back soon!
EDIT - I finished this post on Sunday night when temperatures had been into the teens almost during the day. But on Monday morning we woke to find that there had been fresh snowfall of around 5cm overnight! I had to move the buggy aside (which I had just got back up from the cellar) and get the sledge and snow shovel out again!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment