Monday, 16 March 2015

Not the greatest of days

Today wasn't the greatest of days.
Both Leila and Edward were up in the night meaning that no one slept well.  Then Leila was up early again, soon followed by Edward.
We had an OK morning; trip to Monster Shop (Lidl) and Tick Tock (BSB Toddler group), but it was then that things started to fall apart.  Leila was so tired out that I couldn't keep her awake in the buggy on the way home.  I could have tried harder to keep her awake by talking to her and constantly poking my head round, but on the busy road and with Edward needing to nap, it just didn't seem feasible. She was fast asleep and had about a 30-minute nap.
I pushed back her afternoon nap and it looked like she would go down, but she was just talking to herself in her cot.  I had to keep her in there though as then it was Edward's turn to go down.  He's needing a lot of help settling at the moment and so this took some time.  Leila was calling out so I went in to settle her and tuck her in, but this seemed to have the opposite effect.  I tried again after another wait, but then it seemed like no nap was going to happen so I went to get her up.  She was happy enough about this but wanted a cuddle and a story in her room. I was fine about this, but this pushed back our 'movement' time to just as Edward was going to be in his light part of sleep and of course he then woke up!
Leila wasn't in a gringy mood in the afternoon without a nap, but was in a fussy one.  She wanted to start every activity I suggested, but then move on to something else.  This was exhausting and I'm sorry that I did loose my patience with her as I was trying to get her ready to go outside to play.  In all this I hit her mug and it broke and there were tears all round. I really need to try and stay calm and maintain a balance between being consistent in my message, but also listen to what she wants.
I also need to keep reminding myself that they are the most important thing.  I took my focus off this thisafternoon too, as I was trying so get other things done like making dinner (without a nap from Leila I had no 'alone' time to try and do this) and getting the house in order.  When I finally got everyone outside and my chance to hang the washing up I didn't fasten Edward into his rocker and he managed to roll himself out of it and fall onto the decking.  Tears, bruising and a very upset boy which could have all been easily avoided.
Oh and the icing on the cake was of course that Leila stood up on her chair at tea time and managed to fall off it and bang her elbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment